Friday 27 November 2015

Connecting Essay 2

Connecting Essay 2 - Portraiture

Thomas Ruff's Photograph -


This image was taken by Thomas Ruff and shows portraiture. I used this image for inspiration when I was shooting for the topic and captured a similar image myself. The image shows an bold and colourful background which helps to add interest to the image and makes the portrait more eye-catching. The subjects expression in the portrait is deadpan and this stops any assumptions being made about the subjects feelings. In this way I think that this is effective as it makes the image quite thought provoking for the audience. I also like the bold background as it helps to draw the viewers eye to the figure as it stands out against the bright colours. 

My Photograph -


This is my image which shows portraiture. I like how the subject is positioned as it clearly shows their mood and feelings. I also like how the subject appears to have been caught off guard and therefore appears natural and relaxed. I edited my image using photoshop and increased the contrast as well as adapting the curves. I like the image as it is bold and striking. In addition to this, I like how the subjects clothing looks against the background as it is less attention grabbing. 

The Connection -

The two images are not completely identical but have a number of obvious similarities. The main similarity between the two is that they both present the topic of portraiture. However, they do this in slightly different ways as the subject in Thomas Ruff's photo is deadpan whereas the subject in my photo is showing a thoughtful expression. Another obvious way that the two connect is the fact that both of them have the same bold and striking background colour. I like the use of this bright background as it makes the subject and therefore the element of portraiture stand out more. In addition to this, it draws in the viewers eye and makes the subject more defined which therefore makes the two images successful at presenting portraiture. The background also makes them successful images as it stops the audience being able to analyse the subjects mood based on the background or setting and it therefore makes the audience have to study the subject to allow them to determine mood and feelings. 

No comments:

Post a Comment