Thursday 22 October 2015

Connecting Essay 1

Connecting Essay - Reflection

Vivian Maier's Photograph -

This photograph was captured by Vivian Maier and shows both reflection and portraiture. I used this image for inspiration when I was photographing for the topic of reflection and attempted to capture a similar image myself. I like how in the image we are able to see multiple versions of the figure in the multiple mirrors which are present in the frame. In my opinion, this adds much more interest to the image and makes it more eye-catching and striking. I also like the element of black and white which is present in the image as the lack of colour helps the viewers eye to be directed to the main focus of the image which is the element of reflection.

My photograph -

This is my image which portrays the formal element of reflection. I like the positioning of the subject in the image as it also creates the feeling that it presents both portraiture and reflection. I used colour manipulation in this image to draw the audiences eye to the reflection which therefore helps to create a more interesting and effective image. I also like how in my image, the audience is able to see the subject from different angles as this could be thought to create a slight feeling of mystery.

The Connection -

The two images are not completely identical but they do show a wide variety of similar ideas which helps to connect them to one another. The most noticeable similarity is that the two images both could be thought to show either portraiture or reflection which therefore helps to make the two images interesting and intriguing. In addition to this, the two images connects they both contain the colours of black and white which helps to create a sense of mystery within the two images. However, whereas Maier's image is completely black and white, I chose to use colour manipulation on photoshop and make the reflection be in colour in order to show that reflection is the element which the image is portraying. I also like how both images suggest that the subject is curious about themselves, although this is suggested in different ways. In Maier's image, this is suggested by her using herself as the subject whereas in my image, the subject is looking in the mirror and appears to be curious. Also, like Maier's image, my image also shows multiple versions of the subject, which in my opinion makes the two images more effective at presenting the topic of refection.

No comments:

Post a Comment