Thursday 24 September 2015

Texture - Work Diary

Texture - Work Diary

Evaluation

In Tuesday's lesson, we were given the task of taking photographs which followed the theme of 'texture'. I found shooting for texture very enjoyable and found that there is texture in many places. It was easy to find both natural and man made examples of texture. Personally, I thought that the natural textures looked most effective in the images that I captured during the session. I especially enjoyed taking shots close up and I found myself using the macro setting on the camera frequently. I found that by going close up, the images focus was more on the texture rather than the actual object itself. Below shows images which I captured during Tuesday's session.

This was my favourite image that I captured during the session on texture. I think that the image shows texture well by the water being raised up on the leaf. This shows a varying surface on the image and makes the image appealing.

I took my favourite image, and adapted it using photoshop. I think the photo presents the formal element of texture better in the black and white as it stops the viewer from focusing on the colour and more focuses them on the detail in the image and therefore the texture. The new colouring also helps the viewer to focus more not the contours of the leaf and water droplets in the image.

I also really like this image. I captured it during the session on texture and then edited it on photoshop where I manipulated the colours. I really like the colour that the leaf now is as it is extremely eye catching and attractive. In addition, it really stands out against the black and white background and also makes the water droplets stand out more and therefore helps with the representation of texture. I also brightened the image and increased the contrast in order to help the leaf be more eye-catching.

I do not like this image as I do not think it presents the formal element of 'texture'. There is not much variation of texture in the image and this does not make it an attractive image. In addition, I feel the image is too colourful to present texture, as the eye is drawn more to the colour than it is to the element of texture. The image looks as if it is smooth which could be regarded as texture, however this was not my intention when I took the photo which is another reason why I feel it is an unsuccessful image.


Idea Development

If I were to go out and shoot for texture again, I would make sure I tried to take more close up shots as I feel these worked in presenting texture best and made for more interesting photographs. I think I would also try to focus on indoor and man made examples of texture more as there are a wide range of different and interesting textures available which I feel would help in creating appealing images. However, I feel outdoor examples of texture would have turned out better during my shoot had it been a sunny day as the light and shadows would have helped to emphasise the texture and contours more. For this reason, if I were to shoot again, I would make sure it was a sunny day if I were to attempt to capture natural or outdoor examples of texture. Below are some images that inspire me.




No comments:

Post a Comment